I was able to see The Hunger Games Friday afternoon, much sooner than I thought, and I have to say overall I LOVED it and I thought they did a great job. Book to movie adaptations can be tricky, but I was relieved that I didn’t leave the venue shouting that they fudged it up. Now while I enjoyed the movie immensely, there were some things I wish had been different, or book aspects I wish they had done a better job incorporating. Below are my thoughts.
*SPOILERS TO FOLLOW*
If you have not read the books or seen the movie and you plan to and do not want to be spoiled DO NOT CONTINUE READING!
1. The Mockingjay Pin: I understand editing and changing bits for time’s sake, but I think they could have worked in the original origin of the pin without taking too much time. There wasn’t too much focus on the people and the conditions they lived in. I think the contrast of Katniss and her family and the Mayor’s daughter would have helped to distinguish the differences between the “classes” and how some have preferential treatment while most don’t.
2. Haymitch: Ummm…what happened to my slovenly inebriated Haymitch? In the film he was very much sober and had a good grasp on all of his faculties. He was dressed well and really didn’t have to be prodded or cajoled into his mentoring. This was not the Haymitch I grew to love from the books. I think they absolutely could have gotten this right, so why they didn’t is beyond me.
3. The Bread Flashbacks: I think they should have spent more time on this flashback. The way it was done, I don’t think those who haven’t read the books, will understand the magnitude of that scene. Also, I really wish they had used younger actors for the scene. Unless I read something wrong, they were younger when that scene happened and in the movie they look to be the same age as they are now. I think it takes away from the scene, and viewers won’t know that this significant event connects them and has done so years before the reaping.
4. Gale: He is a major part of Katniss’ life and he really didn’t get much shine. I wish they had shown how they came to be friends hunting in the woods.
5. The Hob: Gosh this place was a cornerstone in the first book. They hardly showed it or how Katniss and Gale did business there.
6. Peeta: I do wish they had developed the relationship better between Peeta and Katniss. Her slow awakening was nice to see for a girl who is stoic, calculating and a bit frigid towards anyone besides her sister and Gale. But many times her budding feelings for Peeta seemed awkward and a little cringe-worthy. Even though she’s not a very feely or emotional kind of girl, I remember this going much smoother in the books. It was more sincere in the book.
7. District 11 Parachute: As I recall District 11 sent Katniss a parachute of bread after what she did for Rue. I don’t recall her ever getting this parachute. I think it would have shown the stirrings of the uniting districts.
8. The Cornucopia Fight: Why was it so blurry? I couldn’t see a thing until they widened the angle of the lens.
That seems like a lot, but honestly, it was all a little trivial considering the grand scheme of things. I have to admit that the majority of the visuals matched up to all that I had pictured in my head while reading the book. And that made me a happy camper. Cinna was gorgeous and sweet and the gold eyeshadow was everything. I caught a thrill when I saw Peeta toss that big weight and shock the careers, and the whole scene with Rue broke my heart. She was so cute and kind and clever. Katniss did not disappoint and I think Jennifer Lawrence did a good job with the character.
Overall I thought it was brilliant and really one of the better YA book to movie adaptations out there. I will be going to see this one again once my little sister gets back into town.
If you’ve seen it what were your thoughts? What would you have changed, included, or left out?
Filed in: Books to Movie, Dystopian, Movies, The Hunger Games Tags: Book Blogger Hop, Books, Movies, The Hunger Games