Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. Each week they post a new top ten list to be answered. If you’d like to join in go and visit their website! If you’d like to answer and don’t have a blog, please feel free to leave your answers in my comments section! This week’s list is:
Top Ten Jerks In Literature ( all those jerky guys in books..those who truly WERE asshats and those who just acted like one but could be quite loveable).
1. Professor Snape from The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling – Although I slightly understand Snape’s animosity towards Harry, I hate that he constantly condemns Harry for his father’s sins. The fact that he couldn’t separate his feeling for father and son irritated me. But even though he was a jerk, he was and is a BRILLIANT character. I love to see his character played out in the movies, the actor is perfect.
2. Edward Cullen from the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyers – Edward has his moments of being a great guy but overall he put a bad taste in my mouth. He treated Bella like shit when they first met because he couldn’t control his feelings. I understand the difficulty but why take it out on her? I also didn’t like the fact that he was controlling nor that he basically kidnapped her and held her hostage. It was crazy to me that he broke her truck to stop her from leaving. I don’t like how he just left without making sure Victoria was taken care of first, or him trying to keep her away from Jake. There was just so much to dislike about him. And how spineless and weak he was in the last book annoyed me. I honestly don’t understand the folks who rave about him…he just wasn’t that great as a boyfriend. I will say I appreciate his traditional values.
3. Armstead Malloy from Something Like Love by Beverly Jenkins – This dude ate my nerves. He was so pretentious and smug. I took great pleasure when the July brothers came to town and taught him some manners.
4. Talmidge Evans from Savannah Blues by Mary Kay Andrews – This dude had a woman he loved and gave her up for a romp and relationship with a younger woman he ended up hating. WDDTA (Where dey do that at)? And then when his ex-wife moves on, he shows up trying to woo her back, after kicking her out of the home she decorated. Relegating her to the carriage house in the back of the house and moving in the girlfriend. Really Talmidge? Really? He disgusted me.
5. The Volturi from The Twilight Series by Stephenie Meyers – These stuffy, pompous guys were just too full of themselves. Not to mention giddy with their own power. I think some of their edicts are a bit ridiculous.
6. Clive Reeves from 50 Ways to Hex Your Lover by Linda Wisdom – This guy was just super creepy and slimy. DO.NOT.LIKE.
7. Joe Starks from Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston – Janie’s first husband was an @ss. Mean, hateful, and just all around evil. I’m glad that she was able to move on from him and find true love even thought he may not have been ideal. Sometimes you gotta grab happiness where you can find it.
8. Harry Hascombe from Mark of the Lion by Suzanne Arruda – I thought this guy was a decent person up until almost the end of this book. Then you find out he was being deceptive all along. I must say the revelation blindsided me a little bit and I’ve never forgiven him that his intentions were less than honorable.
Honestly that’s all I can think of right now. I tend to forget characters once I’m done reading so it was a bit difficult coming up with these. How about you all? Do you have any characters that were jerks in your opinions?
Filed in: Meme, Top Ten Tuesday Tags: Meme, Top Ten Tuesday